Welcome

Hello and welcome to my blog of card crafts. I am happy that you stopped by for a visit. I hope you can visit often. Have a wonderful and blessed day! "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and my soul knows right well." Psalm 139:14

Monday, May 20, 2013

Technique Tuesday -- Stains and Simmer


Wow! It is Technique Tuesday again at Sparkle N Sprinkle! I hope you are having a good day. Today I want to show you a way to make a shimmery background by using several different shimmery products. They say April showers bring May flowers,  so I made a card with flowers. I hope we keep seeing the sun and more pretty flowers this May! The first part of May was a complete washout here!


Supplies needed:
  1. 3 colors of Distress Stains
  2. several different shimmer paints -- I used Inka Gold paints,  Acrylic Pearl paints and Metallic Distress stains.
  3. embossing folder
  4. white card stock
Take the stains and randomly rub them over the card stock.



Place the card stock in an embossing folder and run it through an embossing machine.


On this piece I rubbed the silver metallic Distress Stain over the card to give it shimmer. This look gives a silver sheen with muted colors underneath.


Here is another one I did using the Distress Brass stain over top. You can really see in this picture how the stain rests on top with the colors barely showing underneath.


On these two backgrounds I used the Inka Gold paints. They are like a metallic rub, when used with water they make a paint. These blend in more with the stain colors and are very shiny.



On this last one I used acrylic white Pearl Paint. This is the background I used to make my card.


It was fun trying the different shimmery paints on these backgrounds. Each one gave a different look. I hope you will play with this and come up with some wonderful shimmery backgrounds for your cards. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

April

Sparkle N Sprinkle supplies used:
  1. Glisten embossing powder EP135 -- on the flowers
  2. Concord embossing powder EP419 -- for the saying
  3. Blossoms stamp set 429

7 comments:

Jean Bullock said...

Very cool tutorial! Thank you.

Shona Erlenborn said...

I love the leafy branch one the most, thanks for sharing another fun tutorial April.

Anne Temple said...

Love all these backgrounds you created. Another great tutorial.

Donna Ellis said...

Very pretty backgrounds, April! You are the background queen, aren't you? Always coming up with amazing techniques to share with the rest of us. Thank you for always making concise directions with your photos.
hugs,
de

Far North said...

Fabulous backgrounds! April you are a great inspiration!
I will misting and painting tomorrow!

Sue McGettigan said...

Very lovely backgrounds, what a great technique - thanks for sharing how to do it!

Brenda said...

More beautiful backgrounds!!! I can't keep up LOL.... love the flowers too.

Blog Archive